St Barnabas Church
21st May 2023
O God the King of glory,
you have exalted your only Son Jesus Christ
with great triumph to your kingdom in heaven:
we beseech you, leave us not comfortless,
but send your Holy Spirit to strengthen us
and exalt us to the place where our Saviour Christ is gone before,
who is alive and reigns with you,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever.
Post Communion Prayer
Eternal God, giver of love and power,
your Son Jesus Christ has sent us into all the world
to preach the gospel of his kingdom:
confirm us in this mission,
and help us to live the good news we proclaim;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
1 In my former book, Theophilus, I wrote about all that Jesus began to do and to teach 2 until the day he was taken up to heaven, after giving instructions through the Holy Spirit to the apostles he had chosen. 3 After his suffering, he presented himself to them and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God. 4 On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. 5 For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.”
6 Then they gathered around him and asked him, “Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?”
7 He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
9 After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.
10 They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. 11 “Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.”
12 Then the apostles returned to Jerusalem from the hill called the Mount of Olives, a Sabbath day’s walk from the city. 13 When they arrived, they went upstairs to the room where they were staying. Those present were Peter, John, James and Andrew; Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew; James son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot, and Judas son of James. 14 They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers.
Luke 24: 50-53
50 When he had led them out to the vicinity of Bethany, he lifted up his hands and blessed them. 51 While he was blessing them, he left them and was taken up into heaven. 52 Then they worshiped him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy. 53 And they stayed continually at the temple, praising God.
* That we take opportunities to meet with other Christians in our town and share the events, services and hospitality offered. Pray that we support and encourage each other.
* The PCC as it prepares to meet on 25th May to discuss and seek God’s direction for St Barnabas.
* Rev Matt, his wife Nikki, and Millie & Jessica as preparations intensify to leave Weymouth and join us in Adeyfield in early June.
* As we look forward to our patronal festival pray that like Barnabas, the son of encouragement, we would encourage those around us and the strangers we meet each day.
* Give thanks for all the children who come to our toddler group on Thursday morning and pray for the volunteers who run the group.
* Our local shops in Queens Square as they are caught between rising prices from suppliers and people struggling with how much they have to spend—pray that enough people would continue to shop locally.
* As conflict continues in Ukraine, Sudan and many other regions on the world, pray that these disputes would not be forgotten and that world leaders will continue to seek peaceful resolutions even though negotiations are not easy.
* Frederica who is still in hospital and for Francis at this difficult time.
* For all our vulnerable and those who care for them and for those others with health concerns or in recovery: John S, Sue C, Linda Harrop, Sylvia, Heather Pavlik, Jackie J, Viv, Davina, Wyn & Sheila.