St Barnabas Church
The First Sunday of Advent
give us grace to cast away the works of darkness
and to put on the armour of light,
now in the time of this mortal life,
in which your Son Jesus Christ came to us in great humility;
that on the last day,
when he shall come again in his glorious majesty
to judge the living and the dead,
we may rise to the life immortal;
through him who is alive and reigns with you,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever.
Joseph Reassures His Brothers
15 When Joseph’s brothers saw that their father was dead, they said, “What if Joseph holds a grudge against us and pays us back for all the wrongs we did to him?” 16 So they sent word to Joseph, saying, “Your father left these instructions before he died: 17 ‘This is what you are to say to Joseph: I ask you to forgive your brothers the sins and the wrongs they committed in treating you so badly.’ Now please forgive the sins of the servants of the God of your father.” When their message came to him, Joseph wept.
18 His brothers then came and threw themselves down before him. “We are your slaves,” they said.
19 But Joseph said to them, “Don’t be afraid. Am I in the place of God? 20 You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. 21 So then, don’t be afraid. I will provide for you and your children.” And he reassured them and spoke kindly to them.
Points for Prayer
* The Advent videos going onto our Facebook pages to be a blessing to our community
* Wisdom as we still plan the Christmas services and for families as they make difficult choices about how to celebrate Christmas.
* The Headteachers and staff of our local schools as they struggle to manage with many staff and pupils having to isolate.
* People to act wisely as the country moves back into the tier system. Pray for those areas still in Tier 3 and all the people that affects.
* Give thanks for another successful covid vaccine announced this week. Continue to pray for those involved in getting them approved and planning how to distribute them.
* Nurses, Doctors and all the support staff working in our health service as they treat the surge in covid admissions.
* Everyone watching our services at home to be able to worship and know that God is with them.
* For those who are finding this time very stressful and those who are facing an uncertain future.
* For those with health concerns: Ellie, Sue C, Sue W & Alan, Diane,