St Barnabas Church
18th October 2020
The Nineteenth Sunday after Trinity
O God, forasmuch as without you
we are not able to please you;
mercifully grant that your Holy Spirit
may in all things direct and rule our hearts;
through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord,
who is alive and reigns with you,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever.
Holy and blessed God,
you have fed us with the body and blood of your Son
and filled us with your Holy Spirit:
may we honour you,
not only with our lips
but in lives dedicated to the service
of Jesus Christ our Lord.
Paying the Imperial Tax to Caesar
15 Then the Pharisees went out and laid plans to trap him in his words. 16 They sent their disciples to him along with the Herodians. “Teacher,” they said, “we know that you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. You aren’t swayed by others, because you pay no attention to who they are. 17 Tell us then, what is your opinion? Is it right to pay the imperial tax[a] to Caesar or not?”
18 But Jesus, knowing their evil intent, said, “You hypocrites, why are you trying to trap me? 19 Show me the coin used for paying the tax.” They brought him a denarius, 20 and he asked them, “Whose image is this? And whose inscription?”
21 “Caesar’s,” they replied.
Then he said to them, “So give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s.”
22 When they heard this, they were amazed. So they left him and went away.
He asked her, ‘Woman, why are you crying?
Thought for the week
Talk to Jesus about your tears
Points for Prayer
* Felipe and Sarah Yanez as they work in their Food Bank in Spain
* The work of DENS and the Foodbank supporting people in Hemel Hempstead, giving thanks for all the donations that they receive at Harvest time. Pray for all those needing their help during these difficult times.
* The Bishops Harvest Appeal “Creating a Buzz” helping people in Nepal.
* Townsend C of E school in St Albans to have lots of interest from children wanting to go there in Sept 2021 as they hold their virtual open evening
* Nurses, Doctor and all the support staff working in our health service as they go into the busy winter period and have to deal with increasing covid admissions.
* Those churches ministering in areas of Tier 3 restrictions
* Everyone thinking of coming to the bereavement service on 1st November praying for comfort as they remember those that they have lost.
* Wisdom as we plan our Christmas services taking account of all the restrictions
* John Williams (our Team Rector) as he takes time off to recover from an unexpected operation
* Marion Goulty's son-in-law’s (Revd Simon Woodmore) funeral happened on 14 Oct 2020. Pray for the family as they live without this amazing man.
* Sue Williams husband Alan who is very unwell in Watford Hospital
* The Government and scientific advisers as they work out how to respond to the increasing spread of covid19 though the country
* All those struggling with the restrictions on their lives especially as they are getting stricter. Pray for wisdom in how we maintain relationships while staying safe.
* Schools and universities as they teach our children and young people while keeping everyone safe and dealing with covid-19 outbreaks.
* Those who are caring for relatives and neighbours in our church
* All those worried about the future of their jobs or who are having to seek new employment.